The Grant Program
Background and Purpose
The Ted A. Wolfe Trust Grant Program was established through a bequest by Mr. Wolfe, an Allegany County native, with the stated purpose of supporting educational and/or medical needs of county individuals in need of financial assistance. The Western Maryland Health System Foundation, as recipient of the Ted A. Wolfe Trust, offers this Grant Program in support and recognition of our many community partners, as we work together to create a healthier, stronger region.
In accordance with Mr. Wolfe's stated wishes, grant funding may be used exclusively for beneficiaries who are:
• Allegany County, MD residents
• Individuals with a proven financial need
• In need of educational and/or medical services
The Grant Application Process
Request for Proposals
The Western Maryland Health System Foundation invites proposals, under an annual competitive Request for Proposal (RFP) process, and awards grants which provide Allegany County residents with educational and/or medical services.
Organizations which provide educational and/or medical services directly benefiting Allegany County, Maryland residents. Grants are not made to individuals. Medical services do not include food or nutrition programs for the purpose of this grant.
Applicant organizations must meet the following criteria:
• Nonprofit organization with proof of tax-exempt status
• Strong board involvement and competent staff or volunteer leadership
• Reasonable propensity for achieving stated goals
• Willingness and ability to provide a final report of outcomes and results
Grant distributions for 2017-2018 are anticipated to fall within the $2,500 to $25,000 range, although applicants may make requests based on their needs. This RFP is for one-time, short-term projects (one-year, maximum).
The Grant Review Process
Grant Applications are due no later than 5:00 p.m. September 30, 2017. Award announcements will be made by October 31, 2017.
Application Procedures and Contents
Applications should contain the items below, including all requested attachments. We will contact you if we have questions or require additional information.
Applications must include:
1. Cover page, consisting of:
• Organization's name, address, telephone number, and email address
• Contact person, with individual information, if different from above
• Tax-exempt status and ID number
• Requested amount of funding
• One sentence purpose of request
• Signature of agency or organization director
2. Narrative (no more than four pages) including:
• Mission/Purpose of Organization
• Credentials for carrying out project
• Proposed Project, Activity, and Need
• Target Audience (who, how many, by when)
• Expected Outcomes
• Amount Requested with Explanation of Need
• Plan for Measuring Results
3. Appendices (Attachments, not to exceed 7 pages)
• Board of Directors and Officers
• Key Staff Resumes (no more than three)
• Organizational Operating Budget
• List of Current Funding Sources
Applications should be submitted to:
Western Maryland Health System Foundation P.O. Box 539, Cumberland, MD 21501-0539 or by email to: Foundation@wmhs.com
For more information regarding the Ted A. Wolfe Trust Grant application,
contact the WMHS Foundation office at 240-964-8003.