- UPMC Western Maryland opened its state-of-the-art hospital on Willowbrook Road in Cumberland in 2009
- Our main hospital has 224 beds and covers 585,000 square feet
- We have over 200 physicians practicing throughout the community
- The Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Service Systems designates UPMC Western Maryland with the area-wide center for Trauma, Stroke, and Cardiac Intervention
- The UPMC Western Maryland Heart Institute opened in November 2000 and provides a comprehensive range of diagnostic and treatment services, including open-heart surgery and interventional cardiology. This program has now integrated to join the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute.
- The Schwab Family Cancer Center at UPMC Western Maryland is accredited by the American College of Surgeons and offers a full range of cancer services
- UPMC Western Maryland has four urgent care facilities, one in Cumberland, one in Frostburg, one in McHenry, Maryland and another in West Virginia
- UPMC Western Maryland has multiple primary care locations
Our Medical Center
UPMC Western Maryland is a progressive, integrated healthcare network that includes a new state-of-the-art hospital, a nursing home, and a comprehensive range of outpatient services. We offer a comprehensive range of general and specialty services for medical, surgical, pediatric, and obstetrical patients.
All About Our Area
Quality of Life
A quarter of a million visitors come to western Maryland and the tri-state area each year. Enjoy the good life our region has to offer: scenic beauty; outdoor activities; cultural events and festivals; the arts; friendly, safe communities; and life at a pace you can enjoy. Our area is a gem in the mountains.
Our area’s mountains, rivers, lakes, and nearby state parks are great for camping, hiking, fishing, boating, canoeing, hunting, swimming, and biking. Within a one-to-two hour drive are popular four-season resorts which offer many activities for the outdoor enthusiast, as well as relaxing spa amenities. The region has numerous golf courses, including a Jack Nicklaus signature golf course that overlooks Lake Habeeb at Rocky Gap State Park.
A wide range of cultural events and activities are available regionally through Frostburg State University, Allegany College of Maryland, and the Allegany Arts Council. Broadway productions come to life at the Cumberland Theatre–the region’s only professional theater. Downtown Cumberland is also home to a growing number of artisans and galleries. Plus, there are plenty of dining options around town. Allegany County boasts a number of locally owned and operated bakeries, coffee shops, restaurants, and bars. Whether you’re in the mood for traditional American dishes or Mexican, Asian or Italian cuisine, we have it. Keep in mind that a vast array of cultural events in Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are only about two hours away.
Western Maryland and the tri-state area boast a cost-of-living below metropolitan standards, so housing dollars will go farther. All types of housing possibilities exist–from a home in a historic district of Cumberland, a contemporary home in a pleasant neighborhood, or a home with a fantastic view in a pastoral setting.
Our region offers a variety of both public and private schools for families with children. For individuals seeking higher education, there are four colleges within the tri-state area that provide a great education close to home.
Allegany County Public Schools – Cumberland, MD
Garrett County Public Schools – Oakland, MD
Mineral County Public Schools – Keyser, WV
Bishop Walsh School – Cumberland, MD
Calvary Christian Academy – Cumberland, MD
Allegany College of Maryland – Cumberland, MD
Frostburg State University – Frostburg, MD
Garrett College – McHenry, MD
Potomac State College (WVU) – Keyser, WV