Nutrition and Eating Smart
- Meals Matter – Provides a range of features to make planning healthy meals easier, such as nutrition articles, recipes, personalized cookbooks and shopping lists. www.mealsmatter.org
- US Department of Agriculture – Offers personalized eating plans, interactive tools to help plan and assess food choices, and advice to help you find a balance between food and physical activity. www.choosemyplate.gov
- American Dietetic Association – Get timely, science-based food and nutrition information you can trust. www.eatright.org
- Everyday Choices – Promotes eating right, getting active, not smoking, seeing your doctor (screenings) and living. Supported by American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. www.everydaychoices.org
- Center for Disease Control – information on healthy living for students, professionals and businesses. www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/index.html
- Make Healthy Choices Easy – is a group of community partners collaborating to support healthy food and beverage choices and encourage physical activity among children and family. www.makehealthychoices.org
- Aim for a Healthy Weight – Provides a description of body mass index, waist circumference, and disease risk. www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/index.htm
- Information on Obesity – Explore information about obesity on the National Institute of Health’s website. http://health.nih.gov/topic/obesity
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration – Resources to promote emotional health and reduce the likelihood of mental illness, substance abuse and suicide. http://www.samhsa.gov/prevention
- Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene – Find out what services are offered by the State and get the latest information on “Hot Topics”. http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/
- National Cancer Institute – Prevention, Genetics and Causes for Cancer in general and for specific cancer types. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/prevention-genetics-causes
- Medline Plus – A service of the National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health providing trusted information on health topics, drugs and supplements. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/
- Prescribe Change– Resources, trainings and research available to help fight the use of opioids in the community. http://www.prescribechangeallegany.org/
Want to live a healthier lifestyle? You can start today! Download the Western Maryland Health System Dieticians Favorite Cookbook and cook up some delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Community Health Assessment
UPMC Western Maryland and the Allegany County Health Department conducted the latest community health needs assessment in 2017. A local health action plan was developed to address the top priorities identified by the assessment: access & socioeconomics, healthy lifestyles & wellbeing, and disease management.
- Access & socioeconomics: A community member’s ability to access and afford healthcare are key indicators of overall health
- Healthy Lifestyles and Wellbeing: Helping community members live a healthier lifestyle and improve their wellbeing can decrease the instance or severity of chronic diseases
- Disease Management: Chronic diseases lead to the most expensive care, so helping community members improve their health will lead to less expensive care in the long run
The Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) and Local Health Action Plan (LHAP) are available at www.alleganyhealthplanningcoalition.com.
“These action plans are designed to engage everyone in the community, including businesses, churches, civic organizations, and individual. The strategies range from education about making healthier choices on a personal level to the implementation of public policy changes that promote better health.”
- Nancy Forlifer, Director of Community Health and Wellness at UPMC Western Maryland
The Coalition meets monthly and you are welcome to attend the meetings, which are held at the Allegany County Health Department on Willowbrook Road.
Founding partners of the Allegany County Health Planning Coalition include the Allegany County Health Department, UPMC Western Maryland, Allegany County Board of Education, County United Way, Allegany County Human Resource Development Commission, Tri-State Community Health Center, Allegany Health Right, and the Western Maryland Area Health Education Center.