If you’re interested in a nursing career at WMHS, please view all current openings or contact our Nurse Recruiter for more information on open positions.
The Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™ at WMHS
The Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program at WMHS benefits new nurses by:
- Providing networking at the beginning of a nursing career
- Fostering supportive relationships with experienced mentors as well as fellow new nurses
- Providing opportunities to support current nursing practice or effect changes in nursing through an evidence-based practice project
- Giving nurses the opportunity to reflect and debrief on clinical experiences and hear about the experiences of others each month
- Promote lifelong learning and professional growth
- Develop a professional portfolio
Requirements & Eligibility
- Hold an associate’s, bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing science from an accredited institution
- Hold a current Maryland nursing license
- Participate in all Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™ at WMHS learning experiences and program components
- Complete all program surveys and evaluations
- Complete an individual or group evidence-based practice project by the end of the program year
For more information on the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™ at WMHS, please contact the WMHS Nurse Recruiter at 240-964-8117.
There is no separate application to the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™ at WMHS. Once your application for employment at WMHS has been accepted, upon hire, registered nurses with less than one year of experience will complete the Nurse Residency Program.
Nurse Extern Program
Get a head start on your nursing career with the WMHS Nurse Extern Program. Working side-by-side with an experienced registered nurse, you’ll learn how to deliver high-quality, patient-centered care. You will also acquire valuable clinical knowledge and skills, and develop critical thinking skills to build your confidence as a nurse.
Our Nurse Extern Program is open to nursing students who are entering their final year at an accredited nursing school. Student externs receive $15 per hour when they commit to working 24 hours per week in the summer and 12 hours per week during the school year.
How to Apply
After completing an online application, you will need to submit a current transcript, two letters of recommendation from nursing instructors, and a resume. Candidates must also write a 500-word essay on how the program will impact their nursing career as a student and as a future graduate nurse.
What it’s Like Being a Nurse at WMHS
Promotions and Career Advancement
Western Maryland Health System supports and encourages nurses to seek career advancement within the Health System whenever possible. Once you are employed with WMHS for one year, you have the opportunity to seek promotion through our clinical ladder program.
Our clinical ladder program allows you to enhance your own skills through committee participation and educational opportunities, but also have opportunities to share knowledge information with coworkers throughout your unit.
We strongly encourage all of our employees to discuss potential promotions and share their desired career paths with supervisors, so that we can better assist them in reaching career goals here at WMHS.
We support nurses who want to advance their careers through additional education and offer tuition assistance as an incentive to eligible nurses who would like to further their education and improve their skills.
Once you’ve successfully met the eligibility requirements, tuition assistance is available for core and elective courses that lead to a degree or certification in a field related to your current or potential job. The courses must be offered through an accredited educational institution and must be directly related to your current or potential job.
WMHS Nurse Recruiter
12501 Willowbrook Road, P.O. Box 539
Cumberland, MD 21501-0539