UPMC Western Maryland Cardiovascular Unit (CVU)
One-Stop Cardiovascular Unit
After surgery, you are moved to the one-stop cardiovascular unit (CVU) to complete recovery until it’s time for discharge. The CVU works with several types of cardiac critical care individuals, in addition to those who have undergone open heart surgery or had a cardiothoracic procedure performed. Some of the most common procedures individuals come to the CVU to recover from include:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart valve replacement
- Continuous renal replacement therapy
- Intra-aortic balloon pump
- Heart stent
Besides the excellent quality of care you receive in the CVU, you also enjoy your own private room. The rooms are comfortable for you to complete recovery and spacious enough for loved ones to visit. You are immediately assigned to a team of medical professionals and support staff upon arrival to the CVU. This ensures high-quality and continuous care throughout your stay.
In the cardiothoracic intensive care unit:
- You will be cared for by highly specialized nursing staff that work in a dynamic environment, requiring excellent analytical and assessment skills.
- Our staff is adept at noting subtle hemodynamic changes and providing immediate intervention for critical cardiothoracic patients.
- Our team of nurses, technicians, and providers work closely to ensure the highest-level of patient care is provided.