Feature of the Month - March 2014
Western Maryland Health System
Community Health & Wellness
Environment & Health
Humans interact with the environment constantly. These interactions affect quality of life, years of healthy life lived, and health disparities. The Healthy People 2020 Environmental Health objectives focus on 6 themes, each of which highlights an element of environmental health: 1) Outdoor air quality, 2) Surface and ground water quality, 3) Toxic substances and hazardous wastes, 4) Homes and communities, 5) Infrastructure and surveillance, and 6) Global environmental health.
Maintaining healthy homes and communities is essential to environmental health. Here are 8 features of a Healthy Home.
1. Set hot water heater at 120 degree Fahrenheit to prevent burns.
2. Be ready in case of disaster: have a kit for shelter in place and plan fire escape routes.
3. Install carbon monoxide detectors near bedrooms.
4. Use mats with nonslip rubber backs on bathroom floors.
5. Install smoke alarms on every floor.
6. Keep floors clear of electrical cords and clutter.
7. Seal gaps around roofing and attic openings to keep rodents and insects out.
8. Keep a working light bulb in overhead lights in the hall and the stairs.
Source: www.cdc.gov and Healthy People 2020
Ride for the Health of It!
Thursdays 6-7 PM
April 24, May 1, May 8 and May 15
Willowbrook Office Complex – Community Room
Instructor: Dr. Jack Murray and Western Maryland Wheelmen
Learn how to have fun and be safe on a bicycle. Each session will include a presentation and cycling.
Participants must know how to ride a bike and bring a bike and helmet to class. Participants will be encouraged to ride several times a week. Western Maryland Wheelmen host a ride every Tuesday on the Great Allegheny Passage, meet at the mule in front of the train station at 5:30pm Everyone that completes the class will be given a one year membership in Western Maryland Wheelman, a shirt, and the opportunity to participate in the Wheelman’s Charity Ride on Saturday, August 23rd.
For details, call 240-964-8422
What’s your Blood Pressure?
Free Blood Pressure Checks are available
Cumberland Country Club Mall – Food Court
1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month 8-9 a.m.
Outside the Cafeteria WMRMC
1st Pay Day Thursday of Month 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m.
For other options, call WMHS Community Health & Wellness at 240-964-8424.