Feature of the Month - November 2014
• More than 1 out of 3 adults in our community are projected to have prediabetes.
• 9 out of 10 people with prediabetes do not know they have it.
• Prediabetes is when your blood sugar level is higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes.
• If you have prediabetes, losing weight by eating healthy and being more active can cut your risk of getting type 2 diabetes in half.
• 15-30% of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years, unless they lose weight by making healthier lifestyle choices.
• People who have diabetes are at higher risk of serious health complications including: blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, stroke, and loss of toes, feet or legs.
• You can prevent type 2 diabetes with small changes. Start by asking you primary care provider about getting your blood sugar tested.
For more information, visit www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention
Support is available at all levels
Meet with a Certified Health & Wellness coach to move beyond your barriers to identify your unique needs and goals. For more information, call Carey Moffatt at 240-964-8418.
Change to Win- Nutrition and Weight Loss Program
Non-diet nutrition and weight loss classes meeting once weekly. Call Theresa Stahl, RDN, LDN, Outpatient Community Dietitian, at 240-964-8416 for more information.
Center for Clinical Resources
If you have diabetes, the team at the WMHS Center for Clinical Resources can be your partner in keeping diabetes under control and living life to the fullest. The team can show you how to monitor your blood sugar, teach you how to make dietary and lifestyle changes to control your diabetes, help manage your medication, and provide encouragement and motivation along the way. For more information about what the team can do for you, talk with your primary care provider or call the Center at 240-964-8787.
Free Diabetes Support Group
Come share your experience and learn tips for managing the disease. Meets the 1st Tuesday of the month, from 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the WMRMC auditorium. For more information, call Lori Shaulis at 240-964-8789.
Free Blood Pressure Checks are available
1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month 8-9 a.m.
1st Pay Day Thursday of Month 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m.