Same Day Surgery
The Same Day Surgery Unit was established to meet the unique needs of a patient whose procedure can be done without any overnight stay or can be admitted the day of a scheduled surgical procedure.
You may be pre-registered for your surgery. If not, be sure to report to Outpatient Registration at the time specified by your physician. Please stop at the Admitting Office upon entering the hospital if you are to be admitted after your procedure.
Prior to your surgery, an anesthesiologist will meet with you to do a pre-operative evaluation and answer any questions you may have. One or two people may stay with you until you go to surgery and then may wait in the waiting room until you return to the Same Day Surgery Unit.
Please take a few minutes to review the following information about preparing for your surgery and what to expect the day of your procedure.
- Do not eat or drink anything by mouth for eight (8) hours before surgery. Milk and milk products are considered solid food. Non-dairy creamer is also not allowed.
- You may clear liquids up until four (4) hours prior to surgery. Children (age 12 and under) may drink clear liquids up until four (4) hours before surgery. After that nothing by mouth, including chewing gum and breath mints.
- Discontinue all forms of tobacco use and drinking of alcoholic beverages several days before surgery.
- Please follow any special instructions from your physician (such as laxatives, special bath, or enemas).
- Notify your physician before reporting to the hospital if problems such as fever, cough, or cold appear.
Day of Surgery
- Do not use any perfume or cologne. This also applies to friends and family that will be with you.
- You may do your usual morning hygiene.
- Please leave all valuables and jewelry at home. We are not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Nail polish should not be worn, and make-up should be minimal.
- Remember to wear loose fitting clothes on the day of your surgery.
- Contact lens users should bring a lens storage case and solution.
- Children may bring a favorite toy, blanket or book.
- Be sure to arrive at least 90 minutes in advance of your surgery time.
- If you take medication, please bring all medicine bottles with you to the hospital the day of surgery.
- Diabetics should not take insulin or diabetic pills.
- You will be taken to the Recovery Room until you awaken.
- Your surgeon will speak with you after surgery, but due to the anesthesia, it is likely you will not remember, so please designate someone to talk with the doctor after surgery.
- When you return to the Same Day Surgery Unit, you will be assisted to a reclining chair and given clear liquids to drink.
- A family member may stay with you until you are discharged.
- Most patients are discharged within 4 hours.
- Detailed instructions for wound care and follow-up will be explained before you go home.
- A responsible adult must be present to accompany you home and should stay with you the first 24 hours after surgery.
As a reminder, please bring with you a signed consent form and any other papers your physician may have given you. It is important that you devote this day to your surgery. The individual assisting with your care at discharge should also arrange to have this day free of other appointments.
The WMHS Same Day Surgery Unit makes your short stay as comfortable as possible. If you have any questions, please contact the Same Day Surgery Unit by calling 240-964-3222, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.