Rehab Therapy Services
Physical Therapy (PT) at WMHS can help you maintain or restore your physical function. Our team of licensed therapists can help you improve your range of motion, strength, posture, balance, endurance, and sensation. They can also treat your muscle and joint pain, inflammation or irritation.
Physical therapy is often ordered by physicians to help patients improve their physical function after:
• Joint replacement or other orthopedic surgery
• Amputation, trauma or orthopedic injury
• Stroke (CVA), spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury or other neurological condition
• Acute back or muscle pain
• Balance disorders
The staff in Occupational Therapy (OT) at WMHS help you participate in the things you want and need to everyday. Sometimes daily activities (such as dressing, personal care, and household chores) may become difficult for you to do because of a physical injury or illness. Our OT staff works with each patient individually on a treatment plan based upon each person’s needs.
The OT team often works with people to help them recover from injuries such as:
• Stroke (CVA)
• Traumatic brain injury
• Spinal cord injury
• Injuries of the hand, shoulder, or elbow
Our occupational therapists also do customized splinting for these injuries. Our experienced staff includes a pediatric therapist who can help children with disabilities participate fully in school and social situations.
Our speech therapy services are provided by a Speech Language Pathologist, licensed and certified by the American Speech Language and Hearing Association.
The Speech Language Pathologist evaluates and provides treatment to children and adults with speech, language, cognitive and swallowing disorders. Some examples include:
• Not being able to say the word or sentence correctly
• The person's voice is different than before or absent
• Not understanding what is being said to you
• Not being able to express what you need to say
• Difficulty solving simple problems
• Having short term or long term memory loss
• Coughing or choking when eating
• Not being able to eat the way you had been, or not being able to swallow at all
Modified Barium Swallowing Studies completed by our therapists to use in conjunction with swallowing therapy, such as Vital Stim Therapy and DPNS therapy
Why Choose Us?
We offer a coordinated approach for all of your rehabilitation needs: Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy.
• All services easily accessible on the first floor of the hospital, just inside the Main Entrance
• Free valet parking
• Adjacent to outpatient diagnostic testing services
• Close to physician offices and Schwab Family Cancer Center
• Flexible scheduling—combine all your appointments in one trip
For more information about the services we provide, please call us at 240-964-1800.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who provides therapy services at WMHS? Our team includes therapists who are specially trained and college educated and are licensed by the state in which they practice. WMHS currently employs over 45 licensed therapists.
Do insurance plans cover therapy services? Most insurance plans will cover therapy services, depending on the individual policy or plan. Some plans may set limitations on how much therapy will be covered.
Where are therapy services provided? Our team of therapists provides services to patients during their stay at the Western Maryland Regional Medical Center, in our outpatient location on the First floor and in our Comprehensive Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit (CIRU) on the sixth floor location, and in your home through WMHS Home Care.
Why should I choose WMHS Therapy Services? The WMHS team of therapists works together to coordinate your treatment plan and collaborate with your physician about your plan of care. This promotes continuity in your care, as you progress from one level of service to another.
In addition, all outpatient therapy services (Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy) are all provided at one, convenient location. With this comprehensive range of services in one location, you can schedule your therapies at your convenience in just "one stop."
You are welcome to call us at 240-964-1800 and ask about any of the Therapy Services provided by the Western Maryland Health System or any insurance questions you might have.