Region's Largest Employer
- The 2,300 employees at WMHS received $143.4 million in salaries and benefits in FY12.
- The economic impact of WMHS employees on the region is $234 million; our overall economic impact exceeds $300 million.
- For each job at WMHS, another 2 jobs are supported in the local economy—or 4,500 in our region.
Investment in Goods and Services
- Local purchases for goods and services exceeded $20 million.
- Over $8 million spent in capital equipment acquisition and renovation.
Financial Support for Community Need
- Over $16 million spent on financial assistance for patients who could not afford their care—a 28 percent increase over FY11.
- Another $24 million supported programs and services that benefit the community. Programs relate to the following categories:
- Community Health Services
- Health Professions Education
- Mission-Driven Services
- Financial Contributions to Non-profit Organizations
- Community Building Activities
WMHS Community Benefits Report ( HTML | PDF )
Good Corporate Neighbor
- Employees provide countless hours of volunteer time to the schools, churches, athletic groups and other organizations in their communities.
- Employees participate in fundraising activities for organizations that provide support services for our patients. Employees also donated school supplies, food, and other items needed by local organizations.
- Members of senior management serves on the boards of many organizations:
- Allegany College of Maryland
- Allegany County Chamber of Commerce
- Allegany County Library System
- Allegany Health Right
- Associated Charities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Alleghenies
- Boy Scouts of America, Potomac Council
- Chesapeake Regional Information System for our Patients
- Colonial Regional Alliance
- Community Trust Foundation
- County United Way (Allegany and Mineral Counties)
- Family Junction
- FSU College of Business Advisory Board
- The Greater Cumberland Committee
- Jane's Place
- Kiwanis Club of Cumberland
- Leadership Allegany
- Leadership Maryland
- Lioness Club of Fort Ashby
- March of Dimes
- Maryland Board of Nursing
- Maryland Health Education Institute (MHEI)
- Maryland Hospital Association
- Rotary Club of Cumberland
- Villa Maria of Mountain Maryland
- Western Maryland Area Health Education Center
- WMHS proposed to exchange the former Braddock Hospital campus site for a parcel of land owned by the City of Cumberland, providing the Allegany County Board of Education with an ideal location for a new high school.